It can be tough to eat all high quality meals, all the time, especially when you’re in a hurry. One solution is to make yourself what Precision Nutrition coaches like myself like to call “Super Shakes”.
The Super Shake is packed with good stuff like high-quality protein, fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants and more.
You generally want to build your shake with the following guidelines in mind:
- One to two “thumbs” worth of fat
- protein source (like silky tofu or powered protein)
- greens, or powder greens supplement
- frozen berries or fruit for some carbs / micronutrients
- water to make it a drinkable consistency.
- optional “topper” like yogurt
This is my recipe:
1) I like the Fage brand geek yogurt. I go for the fat free version because of my gall bladder (I need to try to keep my fat low because gall bladder disease runs in my family 😥)
2) again, I have to keep my fat portion lower, so I go for just 1 “thumb” of fat here. Walnuts & macadamia nuts are great choices for fat. Another great product I found recently was Nutzo at Costco (you can buy it on Amazon as well but it’s more expensive). It’s a mix of higher end nuts and flax and chia, so it’s really high in omega-3s. I originally tried it out as a substitute for peanut butter because I can’t digest peanuts anymore (damn you gall bladder!). Avocado would also be a good choice to add fat and fiber to your super shake.
3) frozen mixed berries. Whatever you like. Frozen berries are way more cost effective than fresh and you don’t have to worry about the mold! Costco to the rescue again!
4) greens, or powdered greens supplement. One I REALLY like is “earth grown nutrients” by Onnit. One of the few greens supplements I’ve tried where you really notice an immediate lift in your sense of wellness.
5) vanilla protein powder. My brand is True Nutrition. Super high quality, very affordable. I use the micellar casein for the slow digesting quality with a boost of enzymes, essential amino acids and collegen. (You can customize your own blend, use the code luoyegongfu at checkout to save 5%)
6) water to mix. I’m currently making good use of Rudy’s gift of Sedona, Arizona spring water!
(Note: if you live here in the Tempe, AZ area you can order to Sedona Spring water direct from one of my students. Contact me here if you’re interested.)
Hopefully this helped give you some ideas for making the best meal replacement shake for men and women! If you’re looking to lose fat and get in shape in 2018, but don’t have a lot of time to cook, get a head start and learn how to make your own, wholesome, nutritious meal replacement shake and stick to your weight loss goals for the new year! Getting the right mix of micro and macro nutrients can help you lose weight and build muscle. You need to get the right nutrients in your body to help you recover from exercise, but finding the time to prepare and eat multiple healthy, whole food meals every day can be tough. These super shakes will help you meet your fitness goals and save you time!